- This event has passed.
Voices of the Next Generation: A Youth Panel on Civic Action
May 25, 2021 @ 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
It’s been 50 years (this July) since the 26th amendment was ratified, empowering 18 year-olds with the right to vote. Join us for a conversation with Newton’s younger generation as we explore the issues surrounding youth engagement in civic action.
Some of the topics that will be addressed include…
- why is it important for our younger generation to be civically involved?
- what motivates young people to take action?
- how can the younger generation get more involved?
- what impact does civic engagement have on young people? others in the community?
- what obstacles may be in the way of greater youth civic engagement?
- what can Newton leaders and organizations do in order to better engage our youth?
- should the voting age drop down to 16?
This conversation will be facilitated by Nickki Dawes, PhD
Director of Center for Community-Based Learning & Associate Professor of Psychology, Lasell University
Panelists include: Emma Applbaum, Ethan Dhadly, Cristian Gaines, Elianna Kruskal, Edie Pike, Laila Polk-Thomas, and Rachel Alpert-Wisnia Quick Registration: bit.ly/LWVN_VOICES